The Nelson Tasman Chamber of Commerce works with the Project design build cluster to identify opportunities and aid collaboration for local businesses involved in the Canterbury rebuild.
Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of Commerce chief executive Peter Townsend has personally met with the group in Nelson and talked to them about;
- Has the rebuild peaked? Click here to watch video
- Changing dynamics of the residential rebuild Click here to watch video
- Commercial trends Click here to watch video
- New governance takes over rebuild Click here to watch video
The chamber has also been involved in hosting or faciliting other meetings for Nelson businesses to become better informed and more engaged on the rebuild. Click here to watch video.
There have been changes in the Construction Contracts Act including the following;
- from 1 December 2015, residential and commercial construction contracts are treated the same under the Act, and adjudication and enforcement processes are improved
- from 1 September 2016, design, engineering and quantity surveying work is included in the Act
- from 31 March 2017 retention money withheld under commercial construction contracts must be held on trust.
Nelson businesses with products or services to offer Christchurch should be aware that;
- Pinch points are changing all the time. One month it might be electrical services in short supply and six months later it might be pre-cast concrete or office furniture that’s in high demand
- Canterbury is constantly short of labour so it’s of real advantage if you have staff who can work on the ground in Christchurch
- Innovation is another big focus. Canterbury is looking for ways it can do things quicker, smarter and more efficiently than traditional methods
- Building contractors and project managers in Christchurch are short of time so approaches need to be targeted and tailored to their areas of need
- The rebuild is a long-term project and relationships need to be fostered over time. It is unrealistic to expect instant success.
Please contact the chamber if your business wishes to make itself available for work in Christchurch via inclusion on the Project database.